Here is a very simple but tasty appetizer that is becoming very popular as tapa in Spain, you may try it with different types of cheese although Camembert combines just perfectly with the cranberry sauce or jam, you may also try other jams such as tomato or pepper.
The original recipe uses bread crumbs but these can be mixed with fried popcorn, pretzel crisps or sesame seeds to give a different and exceptional flavor, crunch and texture to this dish.
Bon appetit !
Deep Fried camembert cheese
- Camembert cheese or mozzarella in block
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup of bread crumbs
- ½ cup of sesame seeds (optional)
- ½ cup of fried popcorn crumbs (optional)
- Deep fryer (optional)
- Chill the camembert for about 30 minutes prior to cutting it.
- Unwrap the camembert and cut it into wedges or dices.
- Beat the eggs a dip the cheese, then coat with the breadcrumbs.
- Chill again in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil to 180 C and deep fry the cheese.
- Allow the cheese to drain on absorbent paper.
- Melt the jam in the microwave oven and serve warm.